The Coronavirus pandemic is slowly closing down businesses and companies, at least temporarily. In fact, just yesterday morning we get word of the NBA suspending games across the league due to one of its players contracting the dreaded disease. The NBA is not the only major association to cancel its games. The MLB has also canceled spring training and the MLS has cancelled its regular season games. Disneyland, Disneyworld and Universal are all closing down until the end of March. Some have expressed outrage, some feel it is an overreaction, but it is the reality of the situation. So, what happens when it hits home? What happens when an employer sends its workers home? Will remote work become necessary due to Coronavirus?
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is not a new virus. It has been around for decades, but with a recent outbreak, it has made headlines across the globe. This virus is similar to, but should not be confused with, the common cold. The symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reminds us that a common cold often lets us know it is coming with a sudden sore throat. COVID-19 is not a sudden illness, it is more gradual and has no sore throat that accompanies it.
As of March 12, there have been 1,216 confirmed cases reported of COVID-19 and 36 deaths. 43 of the 50 states have reported cases – all have taken measures to protect citizens. As we have mentioned, national and local festivities have been canceled due to this, now a pandemic. More reaction like this can be expected in the near future. People are expected to isolate themselves to protect against the spread of the disease. This could eventually hit businesses and corporations leaving them with one option; allowing their workers to telecommute. Then remote work will become necessary due to Coronavirus.
What the Remote Worker Needs
Working from a home office is not that different than working from a business office. However, you must have the ability to do the tasks you normally would do from your office desk. A remote worker needs these two priorities:
- Reliable equipment. A computer, color printer, and the programs you use at your office are critical to completing your assignments. Cloud-based programs are extremely helpful. They enable you to work from anywhere in the world via the password you are assigned at the office.
- A reliable internet connection. Without a reliable internet connection, you cannot perform your job to your employer’s expectations. Delays and lag time create upset clients and unhappy bosses. As a remote worker isolated during this pandemic, you need an internet company that will supply you with the fastest internet on the market.
When remote work becomes necessary and you need to send and receive emails, download and send large files, and conduct business in a professional manner you need GiGstreem Internet services.
What a company needs for the Remote Worker
Companies will also need to worry about if their infrastructure is prepared to support large quantities of remote worker accessing their cloud or using a VPN while they work remotely. Companies may need to add more secure way for their remote works to access their cloud like a VPN. If you think you need to update your internet speeds or need help managing your network contact one of our commercial sales team members and find out how at 800-747-1830.
The GiGstreem Solution When Remote Work Becomes Necessary
GiGstreem is an Internet Service Provider that provides the fastest internet experience on the market. We serve New York, Maryland, DC/Virginia, South Carolina, and Florida. We can provide your home office with the connection speed you need to upload and download large files, stream video, and even hold video conferencing. GiGstreem offers four different speeds to suit your remote office needs.
- 150Mb X 150Mb – This is a great plan for those who are single or those with minimal device usage. It covers 1-4 devices and for general internet usage.
- 400Mb X 400Mb – A step up those with 4-10 devices. Great for HD streaming/video uploading, video chatting, and multi-player gaming.
- 1 GiG X 1 GiG – Best for families with multiple devices. Covers 10-20 devices. Excellent for HD streaming/video uploading, video chatting, and multi-player gaming. This level would be ideal for the remote worker. 1 GiG is a great speed for fast upload and download of large files and can easily handle a video conference with the office or clients without the buffering a lower speed connection would have.
- 10 GiG X 10 GiG – For families and your work from a home office that has 20 or plus devices. Offers all the advantages of the 1GiG but with the advantage of the added GiG speed. (Only available in select locations.)
When you consider devices think of phones, tablets, computers, gaming consoles, televisions, and all other smart devices used in the home. The more devices connected to your home network, the more speed you will need. Especially when everyone is home.
What Makes GiGstreem Better?
Here are the benefits that make GiGstreem better than the competition:
- Always on. We have a reliable network that is always on with no interruptions.
- No throttling. Never a slowing of speeds during ‘peak hours’ or limited service.
- No data caps. There are no caps on the data you are allowed to use or stream.
- No required bundles. You are never forced to purchase products or services.
- No price increases – Ever.
- Faster and cheaper. Our speeds are 1000x faster than the competition and less expensive.
- Symmetrical speeds. Upload and download speeds are the same. Reduces buffering time, giving you a smoother streaming experience.
- Plug and Play hardware. All hardware is included, and simple to install, with no additional fees.
- Unparalleled service. 24/7/365 VIP experienced customer support.
- Privacy is taken seriously. Your personal information is of utmost importance. We never store or sell information.
The Future of Remote Work and Coronavirus
While there is no clear sign as to what the future holds regarding COVID-19, it is wise to prepare, both health-wise and financially. Even if you do not face a quarantine or office closure, a reliable internet connection is always a great investment. Remote work is fast becoming the norm in the business world. You will want to prepare should that door open to you, or when the next global epidemic sweeps the nation into a craze. In either event, GiGstreem is the answer to your remote work connection concerns.
To learn more about what you can do when remote work becomes necessary, give us a call or send us an email. Contact one of our home office experts today. For your convenience, we are available 24/7.